Friday, July 31, 2009

And some more!

I must say I have been quite good at doing my speed-reading exercises, except for the paragraph exercise where you are supposed to find the topic on as many paragraphs as possible in five minutes and note it down. I find that incredibly boring a stressful. I have been doing the other ones though, and yesterday I read the book "The Evilyn Wood Seven-Day Speed Reading Program”. I think these two books are excellent together. You can read the second one through quickly and pick up a lot of things that you also find in the first book, but the first book is more structured like a course that you follow by doing this and that every day. Today I am going to start trying out some of the hand movements from the second book. Wide reading it yesterday, I read perhaps half of it, or a third, by reading two lines at once. I'm not sure if this is quicker or not, but I intend to do some tests today. Like all techniques, this one also needs practicing, and I haven't done that much practicing with it yet, so it may still be slower.

New records? I have managed Swedish fiction at a good recall rate of 740 words a minute (833 as well, but then I wasn't satisfied with my recall) , and somehow English nonfiction at 884... O_o I think I am rather comfortable with 500 now.

6 comments:

  1. You roused my curiosity. I will need to try it too now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rebecka, good to see it working for you too. Halabund, give it a go. It's a nifty skill to have I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering, do you need to exert a continuous effort to keep a 500 wpm speed, or does it come naturally now?

    It looks like I can only read around 250 words per minute on a computer screen (English text, non-fiction).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I would have to make a conscious effort, I don't really want to try to read slowly now, I want to get in to the habit of always pushing ahead. I just read some Swedish fiction at a thousand words a minute with the same kind of sloppy comprehension I thought I got from 500 words a minute a week ago. However, these are tests of one minute or two, I'm not sure for how long I could keep it up. In the book it also says that really fast readers have to continually "work out" to maintain their top speed. So I don't think it becomes really natural to read at more than a thousand words a minute, but it is possible.

    And I really think you should give it a try. Isn't it stupid to not improve a very useful skill when you have the possibility of doing so? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find that as you really try hard to push yourself faster, your "easy" speed also goes way up. I seem to remember that several of the techniques of speedreading are actually just about unlearning bad habits, so once you've unlearned those then you become faster without trying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I totally agree with that!

    ReplyDelete